Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Shout Out To My Peeps...#BeMoreHeroic

 
I consider myself to be pretty lucky with the life handed to me. My parents worked hard to provide me with everything I needed and wanted. My personality and acceptance for others differences (instilled in me by my parents) allowed me to gain many friends in my short 28 years. I also feel lucky that no one outwardly bullied me growing up. I bet many people over the years formed negative opinions of me, but I always tried to pretend that everyone around me liked me, and then cut negative people out of my life that made me feel insecure or “bullied”.
Growing up in Orange County and not fitting the ideal mold of what a woman should be and look like, made me feel indirectly bullied even though no one ever outwardly bullied me. I constantly tried to fit in by changing myself physically or doing things I didn’t necessarily want to do, but I did anyways to try to fit in. I work hard every day now to not let outside forces affect me (I think it is a daily battle in our society unfortunately), by telling myself every day that I’m amazing and one day I will find where I fit in this world. No person or their opinion of me will stop me from pursuing my goals.  My writing and blog is my personal attempt to help younger generations to realize that the lame things you worry about in high school don’t matter in adulthood and society needs to relieve us of the pressures of perfection (better realize it sooner rather than later).
I went to college with two great girls who helped start a non-profit organization called “Be More Heroic”. The video for “Be More Heroic”, explains more about this amazing organization's message that deserves a shout out. This organization strives for social change and acceptance. Ignoring negative feedback from peers is key to accepting yourself for who you were made to be. Bullying should be stopped and proactive groups such as “Be More Heroic”, show a great effort to inspire people to change their negative behaviors and for those being bullied to turn negative energy into something that drives them to become more positive instead of letting it hold them back in life.
“Be More Heroic” needs help receiving votes (you must at least 21 years old to vote) for a $50,000 grant to help fund its school tour. Please take the time to go to this website, http://www.cultivatewines.com/cause/49269/, and vote for this amazing effort for change in America, that I truly think is a remarkable thing for two girls I went to college with to be apart of. This organization even belongs on the dabomb.com list…just sayin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment